Friday 4 March 2011

Three new BBC items

Just having a leisurely jaunt through the BBC website this morning and came across these three gems.

For the new Olympic Park in the East End of London, a line from Tennyson's poem Ulysses has been chosen as the maxim for the games in 2012.

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield", from Ulysses.


AND THEN I came across this unbelievable story from North Western University. I'm not sure where that is but I was gobsmacked when I read this.

I've been a teacher for 34 years and I thought I knew every teaching strategy and possible teaching aid going. But no...... have a read of this.


Could be a run on batteries. I wonder if teachers can get a discount??????

"Student feedback for this event was uniformly positive," Prof Bailey said.

AND FINALLY: It is World Book Day and publishers over here are giving away a million books. A request went out ages and ages ago in the newspapers for volunteers to help give away the books.Each volunteer has been given 24 books to give to friends . I didn't volunteer but I hope somebody I know did. I might get given one. I just hope, if I'm lucky, to be a recipient.As long as it's not a Jilly Cooper, or something crass like that.


All the best,
Tony


2 comments:

  1. A wonderful event, and yes, new readers are sure to develop from the gift of a book. Smart libraries are still busy places entwining computer technology with the traditional books we grew up reading.

    It isn't important whether one reads from an ebook or a paper book. It is important that we read. It brings the world to those who cannot go out to witness it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting articles. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete